Goals

Monday, October 28, 2013

Interview

Today I'm interviewing my mother Karen Marie Collins, a 49 year old married women of 23 years with two sons Matthew, and Christopher. She grew in a Quincy, and was the youngest of 3 children, with parents who have been married for 52 years. She went to Stonehill College for a bachelors in Healthcare Administration, after graduating she met my father Alfred Louis Collins.

Me: How did you meet dad?

Mom: Your father was my cousin Chris' roommate at Northeastern University, we met at Chris' sister Terry's wedding where we were seated next to each other.

Me: When did you and dad finally start dating?

Mom: We ran into each other again at Puffer Bellies on the Cape, and when on our first date a few weeks later at Fridays?

Me: How was your first date, was it awkward?

Mom: We were both kind of nervous and didn't eat much, but definitely had a lot of fun even though your father didn't have a dime to his name.

Me: Was it love at first sight?

Mom: Later on I realized I met Al prior to the wedding at a cousins house, and my cousin told me to go check him out but she said "I think he's from another country." (my dad is a very dark Portuguese guy)

Me: When did you and dad get married?

Mom: 3 years after we started dating in 1987.

Me: So how is it being a mother of two boys, do you regret anything, did you want girl?

Mom: I always thought I'd end up with girls, but didn't care if they were boys or girls as long as they were happy and healthy, I wouldn't change a thing. But when i need some girl time i have lots of nieces, a sister, a mom, a little Shih tzu that i can dress up.

Me: What would you change about me and Christopher (brother)

Mom: Nothing, this is your journey through life, but I'm always here whenever you need me no matter what.

Me: Is it stressful being our parent?

Mom: One of the stressful things about being a parent is that you never stop worrying. I don't think that ever ends no matter how old you two get. I always hope i've done a good job parenting.

Me: Do you think you learn how to parent or its instinctual?

Mom: some things are instinctual, other things you wish you had a brochure for.

Me: Did we turn out how you wanted us to.

Mom: I'm not done raising you.

Me: OK, thanks for your time.

Mom: You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment